Deep in the Well of Savage Salvation

Copyright© 2000 - 2011 by Hyperion . Powered by Blogger.

Empire Taxes

Empire Taxes
I am your Emperor and you will pay me the Taxes you owe

Empire Taxes

Empire Taxes
I am your Emperor. You must support the Realm!

"Chronicle Groupie"
Hyperion March 30, 2001

#30 Potpourri, Volume I

The following are thoughts I have had, which I could not stretch into a full column, but were worth writing none-the-less. This is the first of two parts. Enjoy.

The other day I was driving down the road and I saw a fast food sign marquee that read “Corn Dogs Are Back!” For the rest of the week I was plagued with the thought: Where had they gone?

A Psychology-major friend of mine recently told me about something cool: flashbulb memory. Flashbulb memory is an event that is so impacting, that you remember everything about what you were doing when it happened. Society has several of these that we all share. For my parents’ generation, some examples are when Kennedy was shot, and the first moon landing. For people more my age it would be the Challenger explosion. Then we have personal flashbulb moments. Two of mine are when I first heard Magic Johnson had H.I.V., and when I first realized a car had hit my brother. What are yours?

If I could impart one bit of wisdom to future generations, it would be this: never set the cordless phone on top of the fridge when you are busy; you will have a devil of a time finding it again.

I have a flatmate who was very quiet; he had hardly said three words to me in six weeks. Then I made the mistake of mentioning Original Sin. Let me tell you, you don’t know a man until you’ve spent three hours talking to him about God’s Will, whatever that is.

Stat of the day: in 1947, 144 Area Codes were created. This was enough to last until 1995. From 1995 until now, there have been 145 new Area Codes made. And I still can’t get a hold of the Cable Company.

This from my brother: never buy a white linen coat. You will never keep it clean. You could ask a few Georgians about that.

And finally…

Sitting in a Thai restaurant with my chiropractor and her receptionist, I heard what was quite possibly…well, judge for yourself. We were talking about how it is just impossible to be friends with some people. “Yeah,” I said, “Like Hitler.” My chiropractor responded: “If that man had been under chiropractic care, he probably wouldn’t have been such a mean person and would have had a better life.” Not much I can add to that.

Until next time, Friends,

Hyperion

March 29, 2001

0 comments:

Columns                                                                                     Hyperion Empire