Deep in the Well of Savage Salvation

Copyright© 2000 - 2011 by Hyperion . Powered by Blogger.

Empire Taxes

Empire Taxes
I am your Emperor and you will pay me the Taxes you owe

Empire Taxes

Empire Taxes
I am your Emperor. You must support the Realm!

"Chronicle Groupie"
Hyperion February 27, 2004

the Hyperion Chronicles
“A fortress, and a quiet one at that”



#283 And now for something completely different



The plan for today was to showcase some great overlooked movies, but that will have to wait for awhile. Instead, I thought we’d try something different.

Last year I ran a contest to see who could bring in the greatest number of new readers. I offered, as a prize, to write a column about whatever the winner wanted. With the Great Purge that got delayed, but I’m happy to comply today.

The winner of our contest wished to remain nameless, but she did have very specific instructions. She wanted me to write a poem (not my strong suit) about a specific topic. And, she wanted me to write the poem in a certain way.

That way was to copy in rhyme and meter Robert Frost’s famous poem, “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.” In case you’re not familiar with it, I have reprinted it here:

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep

The poem was written in Iambic Octameter, which means 8 syllables, with the accent on every other one. The rhyme scheme is AABA, BBCB, CCDC, DDDD; very unique. Lastly, the poem means one thing on the surface, but something else entirely when you dig deeper.

So, with those instructions in mind, and with major apologies to Bob Frost, I am paying my debt and giving my contest winner her poem. Hope you like it.


He came to earth from far away,
The debts we had he tried to pay;
His life in full, a work of art;
He helped us all and saved the day.


In many ways he stood apart.
I’d tell you more, but where to start?
His soul was pure, his motives right;
He loved the world with all his heart.


His enemies put up a fight;
They fought to kill and snuff his light.
He did not run, he made a stand,
He saw their hearts with piercing sight.


I’ve told you now, about his plan;
Go out and tell all whom you can:
About our hero, Superman;
About our hero, Superman.



Hyperion
February 27, 2004

Poem Explanation
The poem was supposed to be about Superman, but come across as about Jesus. I was also supposed to give hints. One such (which probably didn’t make sense out of context) was the motto, which refers to Superman’s “Fortress of Solitude.” Two other hints were in the poem itself. You had, “his life in full, a work of art,” which referred to Superman being a comic book, and,” he saw their hearts with piercing sight,” which referred to Superman’s X-ray vision.

Credits
Thanks to Bear
Thanks to Frosty for letting me use his poem
Thanks to Tootsie and Kimbo
Big thanks to Sinjata, for single-handedly bringing in 31 new Readers during the contest

0 comments:

Columns                                                                                     Hyperion Empire